After a grueling week, my friend (shout-out - Nicole!) and I prepared ourselves an epic, well-deserved meal, with the latest from the field. The menu?
- Mixed vegetable frittata with fresh garlic
- Chopped salad with cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, basil, avocado and mixed lettuces
- Simple tomato, mozzarella and basil salad
- Roasted zucchini boats with cherry tomatoes, basil and mozzarella cheese
- And, last, but not least..chocolate zucchini cake:
In a word: Unreal. The ingredients pretty much cooked themselves.
If no other reason to eat seasonally, locally grown (preferably grown by farmers using sustainable environmental and social practices), it's this: Consume it for the immense joy and satisfaction that you get from preparing, eating, savoring the bounty and sharing the meal with friends.
I recognize that I have become quite fortunate/spoiled to work on farms over the past few years and have subsequently grown to expect this type of delicious food. It's a tough lifestyle, but I'm up for the challenge!
Want a recipe? Leave a comment and I'll post the most popular request.